Thursday, January 30, 2014

Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest Beware the Kraken Decorator Pillow Kraken

Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest Beware the Kraken Decorator Pillow KrakenAfter searching high and low for microbead pillows that weren't the usual tubular neck-support kind, I gratefully found these. The good news is they are very well-constructed; they are double-covered by stretchy fabric so they don't leak... The bad news is they are OVER-stuffed. The whole idea behind micro-beads is to provide incredibly cloud-soft support that utterly conforms to body parts -head, neck, back -without pressure points. Compared with the microbead neckrolls I already own, this pillow is like a solid lump. It's not very squishy. THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BE IF YOU MOSTLY WANT IT FOR THE PIRATE-THEMED DESIGN. IF COMFORT ISN'T AN ISSUE, I'D GIVE IT FIVE STARS. The neckrolls that are designed purely for comfort seem to be half air-filled. Microbead pillows, particularly square ones, "slump." They are formless by nature. My situation is unusual in that I didn't want them for the design at all. I wanted comfy throw pillows for reclining porch chairs and these were the biggest ones I could find. To make them comfy I had to remove a LOT of beads. This is not easy. As I said, they are "double-bagged" with incredibly tiny stitches that are hard to pick out. The microbeads themselves are very difficult to control. They cling to everything. Re-sewing the seams demands care and some talent. The beads can leak out of the tiniest void in the stitching. In retrospect, it would have been easier to make them from scratch. Microbeads are hard to find but, I believe, you can order a bag from JoAnn Fabrics. Just don't forget to buy soft stretchy fabric like the type seen on all microbead pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment